African Safari 2010  Header

Gene & Lee's African Safari
South Africa - April 28 to May 24, 2010


Introduction to our African adventure!

April 28 - Edmonton to Calgary

April 29 - Calgary to Frankfurt

April 30 - Frankfurt to Jo'burg

May 01 - Jo'burg

May 02 - Jo'burg to Livingstone

May 03 - Victoria Falls, Zambia

May 04 - Livingstone to Jo'burg

May 05 - Jo'burg to Hazyview

May 06 - Kruger National Park

May 07 - Kruger National Park

May 08 - Kruger to Pongola

May 09 - Pongola to Durban

May 10 - Durban to Cape Town

May 11 - Cape Town to Gordon's Bay

May 12 - Gordon's Bay / Gansbaai

May 13 - Gordon's Bay / Stellenbosch

May 14 - Cape Town to Jo'burg

May 15 - Jo'burg to Lephalale

May 16 - First day of hunting safari

May 17 - Second day of hunting safari

May 18 - Third day of hunting safari

May 19 - Fourth day of hunting safari

May 20 - Fifth day of hunting safari

May 21 - Sixth day of hunting safari

May 22 - Seventh day of hunting safari

May 23 - Jo'burg to Frankfurt

May 24 - Frankfurt to Calgary


Wednesday, April 28th - Edmonton to Calgary

Even though our flight wasn't leaving Calgary until tomorrow, we were getting awfully nervous due to a winter storm warning for Red Deer, Calgary and the south end of the province. We had dropped Jazz and Star off at Joe and Char's place yesterday so we made the decision to try and beat the weather and left home at 1:20 p.m. From Edmonton to Innisfail it was raining moderately with a bit of wind. However, just past Innisfail the snow started and came down heavily right through to Calgary.

By 5:00 we arrived at the Acclaim Hotel which is located a couple of minutes north of the Calgary International Airport. Now it was really snowing and blowing, with 70 km winds and zero visibility. It didn't matter too much to us anymore as we were finished our highway travelling for the day. We wrestled our luggage into the hotel, checked in and settled into a great room that was new, well appointed and clean.

click picture to enlarge

At around 6:30 p.m. we again braved the elements and drove over to Cross Iron Mills mall. Our intent was to stop in at BassPro Shop for a bit of shopping and find a restaurant for dinner. Our only purchases at BassPro were a couple of t-shirts and all we could find in the mall was a food court. That wasn't very appetizing so we again jumped into the vehicle and made our way to Airdrie and Athens Pizza. And guess what? We had pizza... with wings on the side.

While we were chowing down, I got a call from Harold on my cell. They had left home 10 minutes prior to phoning and thought we could expect them around ten or so. And the Nikolaj's did show up at the hotel right after ten, weary from the drive but in one piece. The roads were so bad Harold had to use the "stupid switch" (automatic 4 wd) from Edmonton to Red Deer and full-time 4wd from Red Deer south. The storm still hadn't let up and had in fact worsened. The temperature dropped below freezing, the snowfall increased and the winds had cranked up to over 90 km per hour.

click picture to enlarge

After they checked in, we helped Harold and Wendy haul their luggage to their room and got a reward. Harold had brought along a small cooler from Edmonton with some beers for him and a bottle of bubbly for the rest of us.

click picture to enlarge

It had been a long day. Lee and I made our way back to our room at midnight and it was off to bed by 1 a.m.

Next Day >>

back to top